Knowledge, practices and skills seeking health information online at participating research lecture at the Universidad San Francisco Xavier de Chuquisaca, 2013

Solis-Soto, Maria Teresa

Keywords: bolivia, mesh, Fresno test, San Francisco Xavier


The available information on health issues is growing rapidly. The lack of information let us to search strategies especially on the internet exposes students and professionals unreliable, outdated affecting professional performance. In Bolivia and particularly in Sucre, this topic has been little explored, so it was raised as a general objective for this research to determine the level of knowledge , practices and skills regarding finding information on health issues in participants cycle research conference organized by the Science and Technology University of San Francisco Xavier de Chuquisaca. Through a quantitative study type with a cross-sectional descriptive design, the level of knowledge, practices and skills explored in 20 people who attended the meeting on June 14, 2013 (95% response). Based on the literature and on the Fresno test (standardized for measuring information search skills with a focus on evidence - based medicine questionnaire) questionnaire was developed. The results showed a low level of knowledge and use of some databases of particular relevance in Latin America (Cochrane, Lilacs, Hinari) and poor knowledge of MeSH terms / MeSH and Boolean operators. 10% of the population reported good practice. As for skill development in conducting a search for information, 70% no skills are evident and the remaining 30% showed limited skills. In conclusion, the need for training was evident in issues related to information search strategies to locate the most valid and reliable scientific information available on the internet to support decision making in different situations of their professional performance

Más información

Título de la Revista: ECORFAN journal
Volumen: 5
Número: 13
Fecha de publicación: 2017
Página de inicio: 17
Página final: 27